an all-star on the boston baseball field and in the kitchen, guest blogger david ortiz dishes his favorite chowder recipe, and invites fans to cook-off with big papi’s kitchen and popchips!
what’s up, boston fans? big papi checking back in. love the looks of the recipes already submitted using big papi’s kitchen and popchips! can’t wait to try them and meet the finalists behind them at our upcoming cook-off! (remember, you guys have until august 29 to enter your best recipe using big papi’s kitchen and popchips as ingredients, so get cooking!)
since nothing tastes better than a little friendly competition, i thought i’d add my own kick ass creation to the mix…
big papi’s chicken corn chowder
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ pound red bliss or yukon gold potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups corn kernels
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups chopped or shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 cup big papi’s kitchen original fresh salsa
- 1 to 2 tablespoons lime juice
- dash of kosher salt
- 1 bag of nacho cheese tortilla popchips
- heat the oven to 400ºf
- in a large saucepan, heat the vegetable oil over medium.
- add the 1 cup finely chopped onion, stir, until golden, for about 5 minutes.
- add the cumin, stir, for another minute.
- add the potatoes, corn & chicken broth.
- bring to a boil & simmer for about 15 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
- transfer 1½ cups of the mixture to a blender & blend until smooth.
- place the mixture back to the saucepan.
- add the chicken & salsa and cook until just heated through.
- add salt & lime juice, to taste, & water to achieve a preferred consistency.
- pour equally into 4 serving bowls.
- garnish each portion with pieces of nacho cheese tortilla popchips (or use the chips for dipping).
think you can top this recipe? prove it! enter your best creation using big papi’s kitchen and popchips for a chance to cook-off live with me at the beautiful boston center for adult education (BCAE) in downtown boston next month! enter here.
grand prizes include an autographed big papi jersey, baseball, and a year’s supply of popchips. for the full scoop on the popchips and big papi’s kitchen cook-off, visit http://popchips.com/bigpapi/
about big papi’s kitchen: growing up in the dominican republic, david ortiz was raised on the fresh, flavorful tastes of latin cuisine. in his new home of boston, david remains loyal to his latin roots, and the memories of his native dominican republic. upon a visit to a local hannaford, david sampled the sisters salsa brand and knew, with the taste as fresh and flavorful as the cuisine of his upbringing, that he wanted to create his own fresh salsa line. david went to his marketing team, and upon reaching out, found sisters salsa was as passionate about david ortiz as david was about their product. a natural relationship began, and with the help of sisters salsa and a team of culinary experts, a new line of big papi’s kitchen was born.