enjoy a memorial day feast with zero grams of regret? brandi koskie, managing editor of dietsinreview.com, says it can be done. she gave Yahoo! Shine the full scoop on how to host a healthier cookout that’s big on taste, not on calories, by following these simple steps…
- meat market. choose a lean cut of meat: 90% or higher ground beef (organic if possible), chicken breasts, or lean ground turkey (white meat only). even consider a vegetarian option, such as a large portobello mushroom cap.
- go green. and red, yellow and orange. top off your grilled goods with fresh veggies for a serious nutritional punch; not to mention, a punch of color.
- beautiful buns. whole grain, good. high fructose corn syrup, bad. any questions?
- sauce smartly. mayo, bbq sauce, and the like just add empty calories. look for a bbq sauce without added sugar, try a few slices of avocado instead of mayo, and get more flavor out of a brown mustard rather than yellow.
- super sides. replace sinful sides with healthier alternatives, such as popchips, which serve up all the flavor & less than half the fat of traditional fried potato chips.
hungry for more? brandi dishes more lean memorial day tips & recipes here.