it’s award season! and that means movie stars, fashion, and, of course, watch parties. we love any reason to hang out with our friends and eat snacks, so this year we’re inviting everybody to roll out the red carpet and enjoy some of these award winning appetizers!
salmon sliders by jonny herthington
- slider buns
- salmon filets, cut to fit buns
- plain yogurt
- juice from one lemon
- side of popchips
directions: grill the salmon filets skin side down. for the sauce, blend the yogurt, lemon juice, mayo, and capers together. toast the buns and assemble your sliders! top off with a generous amount of sauce and a slice of avocado.
green olive tapenade by chef ryan scott
- sweet potato popchips
- 1 cup green olive, pitted
- ½ cup shallot, minced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained and rinsed
- 3 anchovy filets
- zest & juice of half a lemon
- black pepper, ground, for taste
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons italian parsley, chopped
- 1 ½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup goat cheese
directions: coarsely chop olives, garlic, capers, shallots, anchovies and lemon zest on cutting board, or in a food processor until incorporated, but still chunky. place chopped mixture in a bowl and add pepper, mustard, parsley and lemon juice and stir in enough olive oil to bind mixture together. spread goat cheese on a sweet potato popchips and then a small amount of tapenade on goat cheese. or, place in bowls and let guests build their own.
sweet and sour turkey meatballs by fresh and foodie
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup finely chopped red onion (about half of a small onion)
- 2 large garlic cloves, very finely minced
- 1 28-ounce can Italian-style crushed tomatoes
- 8 ounces beef broth
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 2 snack sized bags (approximately 40 chips) of sour cream and onion popchips, crushed into very small pieces and lightly toasted in a dry saute pan over medium heat until lightly browned
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- chopped chives, for garnish (optional)
directions: in a large, flat bottom skillet, heat the olive oil over medium high heat until hot. add onion and cook for about 4 minutes, or until softened. add garlic and cook for an additional minute or two. add crushed tomatoes, beef broth, brown sugar and lemon juice and stir to combine. cover and bring sauce to a simmer while assembling the meatballs. in a large bowl, lightly combine ground turkey, crushed and toasted popchips, salt, pepper and egg. don’t be afraid to use your hands! once well mixed, shape into approximately 1 to 1.5-inch balls (recipe should yield about 20 meatballs). gently drop meatballs into simmering sauce, partially cover and let cook for an hour. i like the meatballs on their own with some chopped chives, but they would also be delicious as a sandwich on toasted italian bread.
popchips sweet potato parmesan risotto cakes by noshtopia
- 1 box gluten-free lundberg creamy parmesan risotto made using less 1/4 cup less water.
- 2 cups sweet potato chunks
- 36 sweet potato popchips (ground up in a food processor)
- 1 tsp agave nectar
directions: pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees. cook the lundberg creamy parmesan risotto according to the box and use 1/4 cup less water. the risotto will come out a little more on the dryer side which helps in making the cakes stick together better. warm up the sweet potato chunks in the microwave for about 30 seconds so they are not frozen solid but only slightly warm. too much heat and the potato will get mushy and the paste will not work. put the sweet potato chunks in a food processor along with the 1 tsp of agave nectar and blend until you get a semi-chunky paste. the nectar sweetens the sweet potato just a tad. put the finished risotto in the fridge for about 20-30 minutes to cool it down and harden the risotto a bit so it’s sticky. mix in the sweet potato paste. form the risotto, sweet potato mix into cakes, and then on a plate roll the cakes in the sweet potato pop chips breading. spray non-stick cooking spray on a baking sheet, and place the sweet potato risotto cakes on the baking sheet. bake the cakes on one side for 8 minutes. turn the cakes over, and bake for another 8 minutes.
crispy baked coconut shrimp by spoonful at a time
for the shrimp:
- 1 dozen shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tsp agave nectar
- 1/4 cup popchips crumbs (about 15 chips)
- 1/8 cup shredded coconut, chopped
for the dipping sauce:
- 2 fresh mangoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp pineapple juice
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro leaves
directions: preheat oven to 400 degrees and combine the popchips crumbs and coconut on a small plate. drizzle the agave nectar over the shrimp and toss to combine, then press each shrimp into the breading to coat each side. lay shrimp out on a baking sheet lined with nonstick foil. bake for 15 minutes, flipping the shrimp halfway through. while the shrimp is baking, put all of the dipping sauce ingredients into a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. delicious!
who did you think will bring the fun to the red carpet this award season? tweet us @popchips using #bringthefun